Be on the lookout for the American Hereford Association (AHA) Board Nomination Card in your mailbox. Each year, three AHA Directors retire from the Board. This fall, three new directors will be elected to replace them.
The election procedure is a multi-step process:
- Nomination of board candidates –
- The AHA Board of Directors executive committee selects a five-member nominating committee. According to Section 3(a) of Article VI of the AHA Bylaws that were amended Oct. 29, 2015, the nominating committee shall nominate no less than three nor more than six candidates for election as Directors of the Association, each of whom shall be an active member or a representative of an active member at the time of nomination, and shall submit the names of those candidates to delegates at the meeting of delegates. In addition, any delegate present in person may nominate any active member (including himself or herself) or any representative of an active member as a candidate for Director at the meeting of delegates.
- Election of voting delegates –
- Each state elects voting delegates to attend the AHA Annual Meeting in Kansas City to vote on the slate of nominees.
- Each state is entitled to one delegate for every 750 Hereford registrations recorded from Jan. 1-Dec. 31, 2018. A state must have a minimum of 375 registrations to be entitled to one delegate. If the number of registrations exceeds 750 or any multiple thereof by 375 or more, the state will be entitled to an additional delegate or delegates. In addition, each state is allocated a delegate for the first 25 members and an additional delegate for every 100 members thereafter. In order to receive a nomination card or a delegate ballot, you must have registered an animal in 2018.
- State election of voting delegates –
- By early May, delegate nomination postcards are received by all AHA members. Replies must be postmarked by May 31, 2019.
- Each active member is asked to nominate one state candidate to be elected to serve as a delegate to the AHA Annual Meeting. An active member is defined as a member that registered at least one animal in the calendar year preceding the year of the election.
- A state delegate ballot will be sent to each active member to vote from a list of state nominees. Each active member will vote for the entitled number of state delegates. Each state is entitled to a number of delegates based on registration count and membership count in the previous year’s registration period.
AHA Board Election Nomination Card Instructions:
- Fill out your membership information on reverse side of the card you received. If you are unsure of your member number, it can be found above your name on the mailing label on the reverse side of the card.
- Fill in the information for your nomination of one voting delegate from the state that is your principal place of doing business.
- Detach the nomination card and return the pre-addressed and pre-paid post card by May 31, 2019.
For more information, contact Anne Stuart at email@example.com.
Please make sure to fill out the card completely before submitting your nomination.