November 12, 2020
The modern day Sidwell Herefords of Carr, Colo., was started in Queen City, Mo., by a young man, G.A. Sidwell in 1908. G.A. imported his first cow, Brampton Agnes VI, from Herefordshire, England. His first bull was Columbus Regent.
In 1911, the bull, Disturber 4th was purchased in the Des Moines, Iowa, Disturber Sales, where many bulls and females were sold. From 1920-1930, G.A. and his sons hosted production sales at the farm in Queen City. In 1930, Sidwell moved his family to the area in Colorado that now serves as home of Sidwell Herefords.
G.A. and his son F.A. hosted their first production sale in 1940, with others to follow in 1945 and 1947. Also in 1947, Sidwell’s purchased half interest in Colorado Baldwin from Jeffers in New Mexico and eventually had full possession of the bull. Annual production sales then began in 1953, with many of those sales being referred to as the Home of Colorado Baldwin Sale.
F.A. Sidwell continued the family tradition and formed a corporation with his three sons Harold, Walter and Richard. Harold continued with the legacy upon the corporation being dissolved in 1971. Harold strived for top end Hereford cattle. He purchased Britisher 33 from Wyoming Hereford Ranch and mated him to Colorado Baldwin daughters, creating the bloodline Cadets, which were featured in the annual bull sales. The final production sale at the Sidwell Herefords Ranch was the fall of 1981. With that being the final sale year, production sales spanned 34 years at the ranch near Carr.
In 1985, Harold and his wife, Marlene, formed a new partnership with their son, Bryan. With this partnership, the name of Sidwell Herefords would now be five generations.
In September 2008, a 100-year celebration was held at the ranch near Carr. Then in September 2009, Bryan married Linda Stangle of Stangle Herefords in Nebraska. To that union, Sidwell Herefords was expanding and changing again.
In 2011, Harold was inducted into the prestigious AHA Hereford Hall of Fame.
Harold and Marlene, along with Bryan and Linda, operated Sidwell Herefords as a partnership until Harold and Marlene retired in 2013. Bryan and Linda, along with daughter Brooke, who served on the NJHA board of directors as vice chairman in her final year on the board, continue to grow and improve Sidwell Herefords.