Hain Honored as Hereford Herdsman of the Year
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kirk Hain, Seward, Neb., was selected as the 2010 Hereford Herdsman of the Year at the National Western Stock Show (NWSS) in Denver. Kirk was selected for the award by his peers — other Hereford herdsmen and breeders — and was honored prior to the selection of the supreme champion Hereford on Jan. 16.
Kirk has been hooked on Herefords since attending the 1998 Junior National Polled Hereford show in Springfield, Ill., with then Hereford junior member Tony Bye and his uncle Larry Hafer, Martell, Neb.
Through the years he’s worked for several Hereford breeders including Hafer, Jensen Bros., Dave Allan and Steve Osborne. Since 2004 he has helped Hoffman Herefords during the show season.
Jason Hoffman of Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb., says, “Kirk understands cattle and how to deal with them better than anyone I know. He’s very conscientious, level-headed, hard working and has a heart of gold.”
Dave Allan, Bar A Cattle Co., Schulenburg, Texas, says Kirk learned at a young age that showing cattle is more than fitting and that his work ethic, integrity and abilities are why fellow herdsman chose to recognize him as one of the best in the industry.
In recent years Kirk has started his own herd of Herefords and says he hopes to continue to build his herd. “It’s the people in this business who have kept me hooked on Herefords,” Kirk says. “It’s a great breed to be involved with and I look forward to many more years as a Hereford breeder.”
- Certified Hereford Beef Volume Surpasses 50 million lb. Sold
- Churchill, Stuber, Iron Lake Donate Heifer to Benefit Hereford Youth
- White Hired as Hereford World Editor
- Cutting Edge Sale Raises $81,600 for Hereford Research
- Hereford Champions Selected at Keystone; ROF Time is Money Named Supreme Champion Over All Breeds
- Hereford Genetic Summit: Get on Board, Navigate Your Future